|SUMPTUOUS-TASTING ONIONS SAUTEED IN COCONUT OIL|
What exactly does coconut flavor really taste like? To me it tastes like a subtle combination of rain, wood and the sea, very slightly sweetened. Brazil nuts are the only other food I’ve eaten that remotely taste like coconut.
How can you get more of it in your main dishes and desserts? Here how--
TOP WAYS TO GET REAL COCONUT TASTE
- Use extra virgin organic coconut oil.
- Make coconut whipped cream from canned coconut milk (don’t use low-fat).
- Grate coconut flakes from younger seeds that contain lots of water.
- Use coconut gel from green coconuts.
- Use artificial coconut flavorings (buyer beware).
Brazilian coconut flavor seems smoother than bolder-tasting Thai coconut .The strength of the aroma definitely depends on the coconut’s age and the country it was grown in.
Onions sautéed in coconut oil are incredibly tasty and beyond yummy. Coconut’s flavor will not overpower any of your Holiday food dishes or desserts even though “Coconutty” is a taste sensation in a class by itself.
Pat Thomas for THE COCONUT LOVERS MOJO until next time…