Thursday, August 9, 2012

STRAIGHT-UP COCONUT, NO?

Personal choice means that you and I have the freedom not to use plain coconut products on our skin or hair.
Here’s a smattering of brand name products  formulated with some coconut for skin and hair care readily available at drug stores, specialty beauty stores or online shopping websites:

HAIR PRODUCTS WITHOUT PETRO CHEMICALS

  • Aveda Brilliant Anti-Humectant Pomade contains coconut oil derivative caprylic/capric triglyceride. This product also contains professionally compounded aromatherapy essential oils.
  • Ultra Sheen Ultra Care Oil Rich Serum contains multiple wholistic carrier oils and essential oils.  This product almost duplicates a recipe that I used to painstakingly prepare fresh each time I conditioned my hair. 
  • Dove Nutritive Therapy Antifrizz Serum for hair contains hydrogenated coconut oil and also has sweet almond oil.
I use these products because of the aromatherapy oils and the sweet almond oil which are rare in hair care products. When I don’t have time to mix-up my own recipes, the above products are very convenient.

HAIR PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN PETRO/MINERAL OIL

  • Softee Coconut Oil Hair & Scalp Conditioner (also contains jojoba oil) 
  • Palmers Coconut Oil Formula Condition & Gloss Spray (also contains vitamin E)

Over the past 2 years, I have been able to virtually stop using hair care products formulated with petroleum. EXCEPTION: I use the above products only when it’s extremely humid outside.

SKIN CARE PRODUCT WITH COCONUT WATER

  • Biore Refresh Daily Cleansing Cloths with coconut derivative caprylic/capric glycerides, coconut water plus gardenia extract.  Unfortunately, this product also contains parabens and propylene glycol. But it’s great for easily removing eye make-up with a simple wipe or two.
None of above products contain colorants or whiteners—they are all virtually clear just like coconut oil and coconut water.  That’s a big plus!

I just ordered Ojon's Rare Blend Oil which is advertised as including Tahitian Monoi Oil in the ingredients along with 6 other tropical oils, some rare.  I can't wait to try it for hair care. I already use 100% Tahitian Monoi Oil, the pure coconut oil for skin care.

STRAIGHT COCONUT

Perhaps you are wondering why I mainly use 100% coconut oil or coconut water straight out of the jar or bottle? Because of these questions:

  • Is the coconut oil organic extra virgin? Hydrogenated coconut oil is a second choice.
  • Is the coconut water fresh or reconstituted? 
  • How much coconut product is in the container?  The ingredients list is not a reliable indicator.
  • Why do I have to use so much product and so often when I can get away with using coconut by the drop weekly?
Insteading of wondering, I just dip out a little pure coconut oil or splash some coconut water to rejuvenate my hair and skin just like women living in tropical latitudes worldwide.
Pat Thomas for THE COCONUT LOVERS MOJO until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment