Thursday, December 19, 2013

Try A Gentler Coconut Oil Scalp Massage


If you are prone to winter scalp itch, like me,   a coconut oil massage spells relief.   
 
 But I lighten-up on the essential oils I use with the massage during winter. 
 
I try never to further irritate a mildly itchy scalp with heavy duty essential oils like Tea Tree,  Mint or  Eucalyptus  during really cold spells.  

 
 
 
I use these milder essential oils during winter to soothe my scalp:

 
  • Lavender

  • Chamomile

  • Ylang-Ylang

  • Rosemary

I wait until cold temperatures moderate a little, before using strong essential oils, like lime, in my massage.

 

 

How To Avoid Winter Scalp Itch

 
Also I wear a warm but breathable hat during winter. I usually avoid wool. Or I wear a light scarf beneath wool or other natural fiber caps. 
 
Blow Dryer Too Hot???
 
You can also save your scalp by lightening-up on winter hair care, like dialing down the heat on your blowdryer. 
 
Either change hair products or space-out the timing for doing your hair. Hair sprays formulated with alcohol really irritate my scalp year round.

 
Also I cover my head with a light silk scarve INDOORS, to shield my scalp and hair from  the furnace’s dry heated air.

In any case as soon as the humidity drops in winter, along with cold temperatures outdoors, I get dry ALL OVER my body.  I usually realize this when I start scratching my scalp.

 How I Saved My Scalp With Coconut Oil


So then I do a light massage:  1 teaspoon of coconut oil plus 1 drop of essential oil … I only use, maybe,  ½ of this mixture for my scalp massage.  I use the rest on my feet and hands.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment